Dentistry for Special Needs Patients
At Allied Dental Centre – Cockburn, we’re committed to serving the needs of all of our youngsters, including those with any special needs, whether they are physical, mental, emotional, behavioral, or developmental.
If you are a parent or care giver to a special needs child, and you need more information on dentistry for this child, please do not hesitate to give us a call.
Sometimes a dental visit is harder on the parent of a special needs child than it is on the special needs patient. And, we’re here to help make it easier!
Making Dental Visits Easier for All Concerned
There are a number of ways to make your special needs child’s dental visits more tolerable for all concerned – your child, you, and the dental staff at Allied Dental Centre – Cockburn.
Here are some valuable suggestions:
- If your child relates well to one particular hygienist – stay with that one and request that hygienist when you make an appointment for your child’s periodic cleaning and exam.
- Try to explain to your child, in the simplest of terms, what they can expect. Use picture books to explain to your child what will happen when they visit the dentist office.
- Select an appointment time when you believe your child will be most relaxed.
- Bring along some “busy-time” activities to keep your child calm and relaxed whenever there’s a waiting period during treatment.
- Practice good oral hygiene at home to set an example for your child to follow, and then be sure he or she follows it to keep plaque build up to a minimum so cleanings go more smoothly.
Watch Your Attitude and Reactions
Sometimes a dental office visit is harder on the parent than it is on the special needs patient! Often, parents anticipate the worst and transfer their own fears and apprehensions to their child.
Sometimes it’s best to leave your child in our capable hands at Allied Dental Centre – Cockburn, while you relax and read in our reception area! Don’t be insulted if we make that suggestion, it might just be the right one for all concerned!