How Can Sedation Dentistry Help Me?
It is completely common to get nervous for a visit to the dentist’s office, with anxiety levels often worse before the appointment than during it! There are many reasons why you might be uncomfortable during a dental procedure, and any added pain can make the experience truly distressing for some.
If you notice yourself putting off a much needed dentist visit due to nerves, why not consider sedation dentistry? Completely safe and absolutely relaxing, there are multiple methods of sedation that can relieve both pain and nerves, transforming that dentist appointment into a mellow experience.
What is sedation dentistry?
Administered by your dentist prior, or just before, a dental procedure, sedatives are given to the patient to help relaxation and reduce pain. Sedation dentistry can help both patients and practitioners, as it allows both cosmetic and general dental procedures to be carried out safely, without added stress.
When patients have zero nerves it allows the dentist to work easily. It often removes all memory of the procedure, allowing you to undergo procedures with no anxiety.
Types of sedation for dental procedures
With multiple forms of dental sedation available, there are suitable options for almost anyone. If you have any nerve whatsoever the friendly Allied Dental team, who specialise in sedation dentistry Cockburn, are on hand to provide advice and reassurance before, during, and after the procedure.
- Inhaled sedation – breathing in nitrous oxide and oxygen through a mask helps you relax, while still being able to communicate.
- Oral sedation – ranging in strength from minimal to moderate, an orally taken pill (similar to Valium) can be taken an hour before the procedure to instill a drowsy yet awake status.
- IV sedation – supplying sedation through your veins, this method provides moderate relief in a fast acting fashion, with the dental team able to adjust sedation levels if needed.
- General anesthesia – provided through an IV or inhalation, this creates deep sedation with no memory of the procedure afterwards.
How sedation dentistry can help you
The benefits of sedation dentistry are applicable to patients for a wide range of reasons, and can be applied for almost all dental procedures. If you suffer from a low pain threshold, have sensitive teeth, require a large volume of dental work, or struggle to remain still in the dentist’s chair, sedation may be for you.
There are many other cases where sedation can be a suitable option. Should you have any concerns about using sedation dentistry Cockburn, don’t hesitate to speak to a friendly team member at Allied Dental, who are more than happy to answer any questions and discuss possible concerns.
Sedation level variations
If you are in any way nervous about utilising sedation dentistry in Port Coogee with our expertly trained dental practitioners, it can help to understand the possible levels of sedation before deciding the right choice for you.
- Minimal – relaxed but still awake and lucid
- Moderate – conscious but may slur your words, and forget details of the procedure
- Deep sedation – barely conscience but can be woken up
- General anesthesia – fully unconscious
Sedation dentistry Port Coogee
Regardless of your reasons for having anxiety or concerns, the highly trained dental team at Allied Dental are able to discuss the details and options available for sedation dentistry. For more information, or to book an appointment, simply get in touch today.